Monday, January 17, 2011

First Church and Visiting Naivasha

Sunday:

Sunday morning we went to church at Kenya Assemblies of God – New Mathare. They have two services, the first is in Engliah and the 2nd in Swahili, though a lot of the worship was in Swahili despite being at the English service. This one lasted from 8:30 until about 11, and apparently the Swahili one goes from 11:30 until 3 sometimes. Oh boy.

So Sunday was a lazy day, after church we had lunch, ran some errands and sat around for a while watching movies and stuff. J

Monday:

Today we went to Naivasha to visit the clinic, which is opening tomorrow for the first time. I will be in Naivasha from mid-February until mid-March, so it was good to see where I’ll be working and living. This also is a gated church compound, with a school and a clinic. I will be living in a house on the church grounds with 6 girls aged about 11-13, and the woman who cooks/cleans/takes care of all them. I’m very much looking forward to it!

On the way to Naivasha I got to see the absolutely gorgeous Rift Valley. Chrissy said to me “Ok Danielle, you’re gonna start seeing the Rift Valley soon and then literally 1 second later, bam, there it was. The highway we were on curved around it, there was a huge steep drop from where we were into this huge chasm, and then a mountain range on the other side. There’s also a dormant volcano in the middle, which was pretty cool. I didn’t take pictures of that because we were speeding along at like 70 and I like it when my camera doesn’t go flying out the window. Since I’ll be driving that way again, it’s ok.

On the way home we had a little adventure with the car…literally 3 minutes away from home, the engine just turned off and the car died. We coasted into pulling over, and realized that smoke was coming from under the hood…so we got out of the car and popped the hood…apparently the battery had come loose (this has happened to this car before…and frankly, I’m not surprised because the roads are SO pothole-filled and there are so many speed bumps few people actually slow down for…) and some piece of metal that was supposed to go over the middle of the battery to keep it in place had come loose and was touching a metal part of the battery…so it got really hot and started melting the plastic part of the battery, as well as sending charge through the frame of the car and heating up a bunch of other parts including boiling the brake fluid. So a friend came to get us and temporarily fix the problem, and now the car is being fixed. :-D

We decided to delay going to Mathare until tomorrow, it was just going to be easier to do things in the morning. So I get to take one more full shower tomorrow morning. :-P

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been on that road, and the pot holes are a trip for themselves, also, no lines on the highway with everyone trying to avoid the pot holes! TIA! My favorite thing about Africa is the worship service! I am sure you agree. Be blessed, love Kathyxxxxx

Donna said...

I'm so glad it was clear so that you could see the rift valley. It's so beautiful!
Did you buy any of the roadside fast food specialties? roasted corn, it's so tasty (and chewy)
I'm glad you are going to Naivasha. Make sure you go see the flamingos sometime. They also have (or at least had) a lot of rhinos in that park.
Enjoy your day!
Donna

Leandra said...

Hey yellie, sounds like quite an adventure but I'm sure absolutely beautiful and one you'll probably never forget. Have I told you how proud of you I am. I can only imagine how aunt Jayne and uncle Gerard feel and even more, god. I love you and I look forward to your updates.
Lea

Heidi and Cesar said...

wow... boil break fluid! dang! that's hot! jijiji sound funny

Anonymous said...

I'm so blessed through your espressive way of telling us of your adventures...the Rift Valley amazing at any timne of year...just be ware of wearing yellow clothing there even in winter, for the bugs you don't see will find you asap! Much love and thanks again for the great triptick!
Marti

Anonymous said...

nice! already want to go visit:)

Anonymous said...

We are happy you are enjoying the beauty of Africa and all that you are doing. Always be safe and know that we love you.
grandma and grandpa "D"

Heidi said...

sounds familiar with the battery! only difference being with land rovers the battery's under the seat :/ though maybe you find the problem sooner when your backside starts to feel the burn?!

Oh, and the car being fixed thing... that won't work as well once you leave Nairobi area!! lol... "fixed" will mean something completely different :P

I love you LOTS and am so excited we're GOING to see each other :D And I really want to see the Rift Valley.

Heidi said...

sounds familiar with the battery! only difference being with land rovers the battery's under the seat :/ though maybe you find the problem sooner when your backside starts to feel the burn?!

Oh, and the car being fixed thing... that won't work as well once you leave Nairobi area!! lol... "fixed" will mean something completely different :P

I love you LOTS and am so excited we're GOING to see each other :D And I really want to see the Rift Valley.

We Shall See... said...

haha yikes! the fixing must not be all the great even in nairobi, because the same thing had happened a couple months before, only that time there were flames and the metal bar touching the battery was literally red hot. :-p

I am so excited I'm GOING to see the rift vaslley with YOUUUUUU!!!