Wednesday, December 5, 2012

This Block of Med School Brought to You By...NOTHING.

I'm not taking any classes this block. (basically.) I have FCM (foundations of clinical medicine) which includes biostatistics, ethics, community and preventative medicine, and "the integrated clinical encounter", in which we learn how to do doctor things like look in people's ears and eyes. But that's maximum of 1 day/week and relatively laid back.

So what have I been doing with myself while everyone else goes to class and has exams?
An excellent question. I'm not really sure.
I've transcribed a few lectures, gone home for some random things, signed up for online Top Chef University cooking classes (thanks groupon!), pretended to do some research for my literature review...but mostly just procrastinated and whittled away time reading about the air force or about surgery or about...I don't even know...on the internet.

Every now and then I go to class...partly because I get bored, partly because it's sometimes interesting, and partly because I have to take the biochem tests (but as a group with the other people doing the same thing as me)

The whole hurricane we didn't lose power...but randomly a week and a half later the whole campus lost power at 11-ish one night. So everyone went outside or stood on their balconies and it was the weirdest, most surreal thing ever. It's pitch black outside except for the flashlights...and basically everyone started drinking. People were wandering around the courtyard double fisting beer and just wandering around talking to people. We hung out on the balcony for a while and then went inside and played Uno and ate popcorn by candlelight. The next morning I went to class just to see what it would be like with only backup generators. It wasn't that exciting, we just used a non-mounted-on-the-ceiling projector...they brought in stand-alone speakers with extension cords and microphones and we had class pretty much as usual.

I think the most entertaining thing about all of that was how incredibly excited everyone was when the power went out. It was like we had an excuse not to do any work and we were all just going to hang out and have fun together and recreate all those childhood memories of sitting around in the dark house coming up with things to do besides watch TV.

No comments: